Even though the past 18 months have reminded us of just how unpredictable life can be, I get concerned that many people have given up on dreaming about the future all together. I get that. We don’t want to be disappointed and get our hopes up, right?
This is an invitation to participate in a vision-casting exercise, in which you invite the Holy Spirit to be a part. Lift your eyes from your current circumstances, and look forward… to five years’ time.
1. Schedule time to dream again
During the month ahead, schedule 1-3 hours in which you can be by yourself with a notebook and pen, or a device, a cup of tea or coffee, and access to this blog post! You my end up doing this exercise over 2-3 shorter sessions. Up to you!
2. Start with prayer
“Holy Spirit, I trust you with my future. Would you please help me to dream dreams that align with your purpose for my life? In Jesus’ name, amen.”
3. Reflect and write
Reflect on the following questions and write detailed answers in the PRESENT TENSE (as if this was true for right now). E.g., instead of writing, “In five years’ time, I want to have bought a house”, write, “It is the year 2026, and I am living in my own house.” Make sense?
- How do you feel physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually?
- How are your relationships?
- Where are you up to in your educational, career or ministry pathways?
- What’s the state of your finances?
- What does your typical week look like?
- What hobbies do you have?
- What involvement do you have with your church and/or local community?
- How do you see yourself?
- How do others perceive you?
- How is God refining your character and faith?
- How do you describe your relationship with God?
4. Conclude with prayer
“Holy Spirit, I trust you with my future. Lead me each day to make wise steps of faith that will turn these dreams into reality. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
5. Keep on going and trust in Him
Once a month, read over your answers and see what unfolds!
I did this exercise while on a summer family holiday in the South of France in July, 2019. Two years later, I am honestly amazed by what is unfolding in my life as a result of intentionally dreaming about the future with the Holy Spirit.
Do you think you’re going to give this a go? Have you done something similar in the past? Would love to read your thoughts in the comments below!